Professor, Head, Department of Biotechnology
Md. Tofazzal Islam (Bengali: মোঃ তোফাজ্জল ইসলাম) is an ecological chemist, educator and author from Bangladesh. He is now a Professor of the Department of Biotechnology of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Gazipur. He joined BOU as a lecturer in 1994 and became an Assistant, Associate and Professor in 1997, 2004 and 2010, respectively. He joined BSMRAU in July 1, 2010 as a Professor and Head of the Department of Biotechnology.Read more at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md._Tofazzal_Islam Contact Information: E-mail: email@example.com
Telephone: +88-02-9205310-14 Extn. 2251
Prof. Islam went to Hokkaido University, Japan with Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbusho), where he obtained his MS (1999) and PhD (2002) in Applied Bioscience under the supervision of professor Dr. Satoshi Tahara in the Laboratory of Ecological Chemistry. His MS and Ph D theses were involved in understanding cell biology of motility, taxis, viability and differentiation of zoospores of the oomycete phytopathogens when interacting with host and nonhost plant secondary mesu_tabolites. He has awarded a fellowship (2003-2005) from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) to work on ‘signaling systems between root and rhizoplane microorganisms including oomycetes and their agricultural usage’ at the said laboratory of Hokkaido University.
Dr. Islam got many prizes and medals for his outstanding academic and research accomplishments in fundamental understanding of cell biology and ecological chemistry of the Oomycete phytopathogens, including the University Grants Commission (UGC) Research Award in Agricultural Sciences in 2004 and 2008 (twice), the Best Young Scientist Award 2003 from the Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology and Agrochemistry, Chancellor’s Prize in 1995 and a Gold Medal in 2003 from BAU, UGC Merit Award in 1990, and Prof. A. Karim Memorial Award in 1992. He published more than 90 research papers in national and international peer-reviewed journals and book series, more than 70 articles in national dailies and periodicals, seven books. Most of his fundamental research contributions have been published in some world-leading international journals and reviews such as Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Phytochemistry, Phytopathology, Plant and Soil, Biological Control, European Journal of Plant Pathology, Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Journal of Pesticide Science, Journal of Basic Microbiology, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Journal of General Plant Pathology and so on. He presented research findings and chaired sessions in many international conferences/symposia in USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Italy, Netherlands, Malaysia, China, and Jamaica.
Prof. Islam worked as an Alexander von Humboldt fellow (2007-2009) at Georg- August-Universitaet Goettingen, Germany with Prof. Dr. Andreas von Tiedemann in the Division of Plant Pathology and Plant Protection. His research interests are concentrated on understanding the underlying molecular mechanism of asexual sporulation in peronosporomycetes and signal transduction pathways of chemotaxis and differentiation of zoospores. He supervised a good number of MS and PhD students, and actively involved in many professional research networks/organizations at home and abroad. Over the years, he has essu_tablished research collaborations with many scientists in Japan, China, UK, Germany, Netherlands, USA and Canada.
1. Skilled in light, scanning and transmission electron microscopy (SEM and TEM), confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM), and immunocytochemistry for conducting research in all aspects of modern cell biology.
2. Skilled in bioassay-guided isolation of bioactive natural products from plants and microorganisms, and elucidation of their chemical structures by spectroscopic methods.
3. Experienced and expert in handling and analyzing data of different kinds of column chromatography, HPLC, PTLC, FD and EI mass spectrometers, UV-Vis, IR, FTIR spectrophotometer, one and two dimensional NMR, atomic absorption spectrophotometer, spectrometers of CD and MALDITOF- MS, X-ray Microanalysis, flame photometer, and Polari meter
4. Experienced in analyzing membrane phospholipids of cells by radiolabeling of 32P for conducting research on phospholipid signaling in the cells.
5. Efficient in one and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis for proteomics studies and expert in isolation, culture and identification of microorganisms by molecular techniques.
6. Expert in developing bioassay methods for testing activities of natural and environmental chemical compounds toward various cells.
- Won Bangladesh Academy of Science Gold Medal ★ Award 2011 in Biological Sciences (Senior Group)
- Awarded “Food & Agricultural Award 2011” from XSRL and OXFAM (UK)
- Won the UGC Research Award 2008 (award received in May 2011) for outstanding fundamental research discoveries in Agricultural Sciences (a national level award).
- Awarded Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellowship (April 2007 to March 2009) to work on motility and signal transduction pathways in grapevine pathogen Plasmopara viticola at Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, Germany.
- Won the UGC Research Award 2004 in Agricultural Sciences (award received in December 2007) for outstanding fundamental research works.
- Awarded as the Best Young Scientist 2003 by the Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Agrochemistry (JSBBA), Japan for outstanding research discoveries during PhD studies.
- Awarded 24 months long the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Foreign Researcher Postdoctoral Fellowship (2003-2005), Japan.
- Won the Best Presenter Award (2002) in the 3rd World Congress on Allelopathy, International Allelopathy Society, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Selected for the UNDP Young Scientist Award 2002 for Participating in the Global Natural Products Symposium and Workshop, 9-30 July 2000, University of West Indies, Kingston 7, Jamaica.
- Won the Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbukagakusho) (1997-2002) for MS and PhD Study at Hokkaido University, Japan.
- Awarded a Gold Medal from Prof. Dr. Iajuddin Ahmed, the Honorable President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Chancellor of BAU in 2003 for outstanding results in Masters of Science (Ag) in Agricultural Chemistry in 1995.
- Bagged Bangladesh Agricultural University Prize in 1995 from Begum Khaleda Zia, the Honorable Prime Minister of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Chancellor of BAU for Securing First Position in the First Class in B. Sc. Ag. (Hons.) in 1991.
- Awarded Prof. Dr. Abdul Karim Memorial Prize in 1994, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Bangladesh for outstanding results in B. Sc. Ag. (Hons.).
- Got Merit Scholarship in 1990 from the University Grants Commission (UGC), Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
i. Singly: 9 students
- Musrat Zahan Surovi. 2013. Isolation and molecular characterization of plant growth promoting endophytic bacteria from rice. BSMARU.
- Farzana Yasmin. 2013. Isolation and molecular characterization of phosphate solubilizing bacteria from the rhizoplne of wheat. BSMARU.
- Zannatul Ferdous. 2013. Isolation and molecular characterization of phosphate solubilizing bacteria from rice. BSMARU.
- Tarin Farhana. 2013. Isolation and molecular characterization of plant growth promoting endophytic bacteria from wheat. BSMARU.
- Effi Haque. 2012. Bioactive natural products to control Phytophthora late blight of pepper. BSMRAU.
- Md. Ferdous Rezwan Khan Prince. 2012. Growth promotion and stress tolerance in cucumber and rice by chitosan biopolymer produced from chitin exoskeleton of shrimp. BSMRAU.
- Most. Waheda Rahman Ansary. 2011. Effects of extract, endophyte and secondary mesu_tabolites from medicinal plant against Phytophthora capsici. BSMRAU.
- Md. Kamruzzaman. 2011. Isolation and characterization of plant probiotic bacteria from native plants rhizosphere to control late blight pathogen Phytophthora capsici. BSMRAU.
- Amena Khatun. 2011. Epiphytic rhizoplane bacteria as biopesticides against Phytophthora capsici. BSMRAU.
Jointly: 17 students
- Giles Dean 2013. The potential of bone char as a phosphate source for fertilizing plants. University of Nottingham, UK.
- Md. Mohibul Alam Khan. 2012. Isolation, characterization and identification of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria from rice. North South University.
- Md. Zillur Rahman. 2011. Optimizing nitrogen application in wheat using SPAD-502 chlorophyll meter. BSMRAU.
- Fatematuz Zohara. 2010. Isolation and characterization of antagonist bacteria from plant and soils against late blight pathogen Phytophthora capsici. BSMRAU.
- Shaikhul Islam. 2010. Isolate, screen and characterize bio-functional rhizobacterial as well as to elucidate their mode of actions on target crops and pathogens. BSMRAU.
- Anannaya Prova. 2010. Isolation, identification, and characterization of white mold disease in marigold (Tagetes officinales L.) and hyacinth bean (Lablab purpureus) caused by Sclerotinia sclerotiorum. BSMRAU.
- Nur-E-Alam Siddiqui. 2010. Supplementation of acetone extract of Nigella sativa L. seeds in diet decreases serum cholesterol and harmful intestinal microflora of broiler. HSTU.
- Shamima Khanom. 2007. Growth, leaf yield and nutrient uptake by stevia as influenced by organic and chemical fertilizers grown on various types of soil. BAU.
- Istiaq Ahmed. 2006. Isolation and characterization of arsenic resistant bacteria from the contaminated soil and their effects on seed germination of rice. BAU.
- Aniruddha Sarker. 2005. Phosphate solubilizing rhizobacteria in phosphorus nutrition of wheat. BAU.
- Animesh Sarkar. 2001. Isolation of phosphate solubilizing rhizoplane bacteria and their effect on boro rice grown in acidic soil. BAU.
- Md. Shohidul Alam. 2000. Screening of rhizoplane bacteria and study their phosphate solubilizing effect on transplant aman rice. BAU.
- Md. Abdul Hanna 1998. Antifertility activity of Abrus precatorious seed extracts in female rat. BAU
- S.M. Hamidul Islam. 1999. Yield and mineral composition of transplanted aman rice as influenced by the application of various phosphatic fertilizers. BAU.
- Atiqur Rahman. 1997. Screening rhizoplane bacteria for their phosphate solubilizing capacity and effect on soilbornephytopathogen. BAU.
- Shanker Chandra Sarker. 1997. Effects of sulphur and zinc on yield and nutrient content of rice. BAU.
- Rubeca Fancy. 1997. Phosphorus use efficiency of Maize under low phosphorus and low pH environment. BAU.
Jointly: 5 students
- Bimol Chandra Some. 2013. Phosphate solubilizing bacteria and their usage in sustainable agriculture. BAU.
- Md. Mosharraf Hossain. 2011. Role of rhizobacteria in arsenic mobilization in soils and uptake by rice plant. BAU.
- Umme Habiba. 2010. Studies on resistance mechanism of anthracnose disease in chili. BAU.
- Sarker Md. Noman. 2009. Biochemical studies of stevioside and development of therapeutic foods for diabetic. BAU.
- Abhinandan Deora. 2005. Molecular studies on biological control of oomycete phytopathogen by antagonistic rhizoplane bacteria. BAU.
1) Fakir Shahidullah Tareq,Choudhury M. Hasan, Min Ah Lee, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Hyi-Seung Lee, Yeon-Ju Lee, and Hee Jae Shin (2014). Gageotetrins A-C, Noncytotoxic Antimicrobial Linear Lipopeptides from a Marine Bacterium Bacillus subtilis. Organic Letters
2) Saranika Talukder, Subir Sarker, Md Afzal Hossain, Md Abu Hadi Khan, Md Abdul Hannan and M Tofazzal Islam (2014). Evaluation of Fertility Disrupting Potentials of Abrus precatorius Seed Extracts in Male Rats for Arresting Spermatogenesis and Suppressed Fertility In Vivo. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 34(1): 18-23. (Pakistan)
3) Tatong MDK, Talontsi FM, Rahim HA, Islam MT, Oswald RB, Laatsch H (2014) Banchromene and other secondary metabolites from the endophytic fungus Fusarium sp. obtained from Piper guinensis inhibit the motility of phytopathogenic Plasmopara viticola zoospores. Tetrahedron Letters, in press. Impact Factor: 2.397
4) Tareq FS, Lee MA, Lee HS, Lee YJ, Lee JS, Choudhury MH, Islam MT, Shin HJ (2014) Non-cytotoxic antifungal agents: isolation and structures of Gageopeptides from a marine-derived Bacillus subtilis 109GGC020. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, DOI: 10.1021/jf502436r. Impact Factor: 2.906
5) Sarkar A, Md. Islam MT, Zargar SM, Dogra V, Kim ST, Gupta R, Deswal R, Bagler G, Sreenivasulu Y, Waditee-Sirisattha R, Sirisattha S, Rohila JS, Raorane M, Kohli A, Kim DW, Cho K, Saidajan AA, Agrawal GK, and Rakwal R. 2014. Proteomics potential and its contribution toward sustainable agriculture. In: Agroecology, Ecosystems, and sustainability, Noureddine Benkeblia N ed., CRC Press. pp. 151-179.
3) M. Tofazzal Islam (2013). Bioactive natural products for managing downy mildew disease in grapevine. In: Recent Advances on Biocontrol of Grapevine Diseases: From Fundamental Knowledge to Application in the Vinewards, S. Compant and F. Mathieu Eds. Oenoplurimedia, France, in press. (France)
4) M. Abdul Mojid Mondol, Hee Jae Shin, M. Tofazzal Islam (2013) Diversity of secondary metabolites from marine Bacillus species: chemistry, biosynthesis and biological activity. Marine Drugs 11: 2846-2872. (Switzerland)
4) Md. Romij Uddin, A-Rang Im, Md Tofazzal Islam, Sungwook Chae, Sang Un Park, Mi- Young Lee (2013) Regulation of mitochondrial energy metabolism: a possible mechanism for anti-aging activity of traditional herbal medicine. Aging Research Reviews (review in progress). (The Netherlands)
5) M. Abu Sayed, M. Tofazzal Islam, M. Maksud-Ul Haque, M. Jakaria Hossain Shah, Raisuddin Ahmed and M. Afzal Hossain (2013) Chitosan and buckwheat (Fagapyrum esculantum) supplemented diet increase serum high density lipoprotein, total cholesterol and triglycerides in broiler. Animal Feed Science and Technology (review in progress). (The Netherlands)
6) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Md. Motaher Hossain (2013) Biological control of Peronosporomycete phytopathogens by bacterial antagonist. In: Bacteria in Agrabialagy: Disease Management, DK Maheshwari Ed., Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 167-218. (The Netherlands)
7) Saranika Talukder, Subir Sarker, Md. Afzal Hossain, Md. Abu Hadi Khan, Md. Abdul Hannan, and Md. Tofazzal Islam (2012) Evaluation of fertility disrupting potentials of Abrus precatarius seed extracts in male rats for arresting spermatogenosis and suppressed fertility in vivo. Journal of Medical and Allied Science 1: 12-19. (Malaysia)
8) Ferdinand Mouafo Talontsi, Petrea Facey, Michel D.K. Tatong, M. Tofazzal Islam, Holm Frauendorf, Siegfried Draeger, Andreas von Tiedemann, Hartmut Laatsch (2012) Zoosporicidal metabolites from an endophytic fungus Cryptaspariapsis sp. of Zanthaxylum leprieurii. Phytachemistry 83: 87-94. (USA)
9) Ferdinand Mouafo Talontsi, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Petrea Facey, Clovis Douanla-Meli, Andreas von Tiedemann, HartmutLaatsch (2012) Depsidones and other constituents from Phamapsis sp. CAFT69 and its host plant Endadesmia calaphyllaides with potent inhibitory effect on motility of zoospores of grapevine pathogen Plasmapara viticala. Phytachem. Lett. 5: 657-664 (USA
11) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Md. Motaher Hossain (2012) Plant probiotics in phosphorus nutrition in crop plants, with special reference to rice. In: Bacteria in Agrabialagy: Plant Prabiatics, Maheshwari DK ed., Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 325-363. (The Netherlands).
12) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Md. Motaher Hossain, Michele L Clarke, Abdul Mannan Akanda (2012) Adaptation to Climate Change: Biodiversity, Food Security, Environmental Management and Rural Resilience in. In: Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources and Food Security of Bangladesh. Alumni Association of German Universities in Bangladesh.
13) M. Tofazzal Islam, Andreas von Tiedemann, Hartmut Laatsch, 2011. Protein kinase C is likely to be involved in zoosporogenesis and maintenance of flagellar motility in the Peronosporomycete zoospores. Malecular Plant-Micrabe Interactians, 24: 938-947. (USA)
14) M. Tofazzal Islam, Andreas von Tiedemann, 2011. 2,4-Diacetylphloroglucinol suppresses zoosporogenesis and impairs motility of the Peronospotomycete zoospores. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 27: 2071-2079. (USA)
15) Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2011. Potentials for biological control of plant diseases by Lysabacter spp., with special reference to strain SB-K88. In: Bacteria in Agrabialagy: Plant Grawth Respanses. Maheshwari DK ed., Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 335-364. (The Netherlands).
16) M. Tofazzal Islam, Abu Sadeque Md. Selim, M. Abu Sayed, M. Afroza Khatun, M. Nuerealam Siddiqui, M. Shafiul Alam, M. Afzal Hossain, 2011. Nigella sativa L. supplemented diet decreases egg cholesterol content and suppresses harmful intestinal bacteria in laying hens. Journal of Animal and Feed Science, 20 (4): 587-598.
17) Abdalla MA, Win HY, Islam MT, Tiedemann Av, Schuffler A, Laatsch H, 2011. Khatmiamycin, a motility Inhibitor and zoosporicide against the downy mildew pathogen Plasmapara viticala from Streptomyces sp. ANK313. Journal of Antibiotics 64: 655-659. (Japan)
18) M. Abdur Razzaque, Nur Mohammad Talukder, Md. Tofazzal Islam, R. Kumar Dutta. 2011. Salinity effect on mineral nutrient distribution along root and shoot of rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes differing in salt tolerance. Archives af Agronomy and Sail Science, 57: 33-45. (Germany)
20) Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2011. Cost-effectiveness, equitable and flexible higher education through open and distance learning in Bangladesh. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education 12: 102-113. (Turkey)
21) M. Abdul Hannan, M. Afzal Hossain, Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2010. Seed extracts of a Bangladeshi medicinal plant Abrus precatarius L. show antifertility activity in female rats. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine 10: 103-110. (South Korea).
22) Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2010. Mode of antagonism of a biocontrol bacterium Lysabacter sp. SB-K88 toward a damping-off pathogen Aphanamyces cachliaides. Warld Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 26: 629-637. (USA)
23) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Yukiharu Fukushi, 2010. Growth inhibition and excessive branching in Aphanamyces cachliaides induced by 2,4-diacetylphloroglucinol is linked to disruption of filamentous actin cytoskeleton in the hyphae. Warld Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 26, 1163-1170. (USA)
25) Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2010. Ultrastructure of Aphanamyces cacliaides zoospores and changes during their developmental transitions triggered by the host-specific flavone cochliophilin A. Journal of Basic Microbiology 50: S58-S67. (Germany)
27) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2009. Challenges and opportunities of teaching science in a distance in a developing country. In: Accessible Elements: Teaching Science Online and at a Distance, Kennepohl, D, Shaw, L. eds., Athabasca University Press, Canada.
28) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2008. Dynamic rearrangement of F-actin organization triggered by host-specific plant signal is linked to morphogenesis of Aphanamyces cachliaides zoospores. Cell Matility and the Cytaskeletan 65: 553-562. (USA)
29) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2008. Nonhost secondary metabolites affect motility and viability of the zoospores of phytopathogenic Aphanamyces cachliaides. Zeitchrift fuer Naturfurchung 63c: 233-240. (Germany)
30) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2008. Disruption of ultrastructure and cytoskeletal network is involved with biocontrol of damping-off pathogen Aphanamyces cachliaides by Lysabacter sp. strain SB-K88. Biological Control 46: 312-321. (The Netherlands)
32) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2008. Appropriateness of Curricula, Technology Choice and Methods of Assessment: A Study of Vocational Education Programmes in Agriculture through Distance Mode. WikiEducator (http://www.wikieducator.org/Image:Dr.Tofazzal-PCF5.pdf).
34) Md. Shohidul Alam, Nur Mohammad Talukder, Md. Tofazzal Islam and Atiqur Rahman. 2008. Rhizoplane bacteria as phosphate solubilizing agent on phosphorus nutrition of rice. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Sciences 35 (2): 181-188 (Bangladesh)
35) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Misuyoshi Sakasai, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Abhinandan Deora, Yasuko Sakihama and Satoshi Tahara, 2007. Composition of culture medium influences zoosporogenesis and differentiation of Aphanamyces cachliaides. Journal of General Plant Pathology 73: 324-329. (Japan)
36) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, and Satoshi Tahara, 2007. Understanding of ecochemical interactions between plants and zoospores: potentials for biorational control of the peronosporomycete soilborne phytopathogens. In: Crap Production in Stress Environments: Genetic and Management Options, Eds., Singh et al. (Agrobios International), Jodhpur, India, pp. 275-288. (India)
37) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Abhinandan Deora, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Atiqur Rahman, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2007. Isolation and identification of potential phosphate solubilizing bacteria from the rhizoplane of Oryza sativa L. cv. BR29 of Bangladesh. Zeitchrift fuer Naturfurchung 62c: 103-110. (Germany)
38) Abhinandan Deora, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yuriko Aoyama, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2007. Morpho-physiological disorders in damping-off pathogen Aphanamyces cachliaides interacting with host rhizoplane bacteria. In: Crap Production in Stress Environments: Genetic and Management Options, Eds., Singh et al. (Agrobios International), Jodhpur, India, pp. 119-127. (India)
39) Yaolin Wen, Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2006. Phenolic constituents of Celasia cristata L. susceptible to the spinach root rot pathogen Aphanamyces cachliaides. Biascience, Biachemistry and Biotechnology 70: 2567-2570. (Japan)
40) Abhinandan Deora, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito, Yuriko Aaoyama, and Satoshi Tahara, 2006. An antagonistic rhizoplane bacterium Pseudamanas sp. strain EC-S101 physiologically stresses a spinach root rot pathogen Aphanamyces cachliaides. Journal of General Plant Pathology 72: 57-64. (Japan)
41) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Md. Morshedur Rahman and K. M. Rezanur Rahman. 2006. Quality and processes of Bangladesh Open University course materials development. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education 7: 130-138. (Turkey)
42) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Abu Sadeque Md. Selim. 2006. Quality assurance in distance education on ‘agriculture and rural development’: A workshop at Bangladesh Open University. Indian Journal of Open Learning 15: 196-198. (India)
43) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Abu Sadeque Md. Selim. 2006. Information and communication technologies for the promotion of open and distance learning in Bangladesh. Journal Agriculture and Rural Development 4: 35-42. (Bangladesh)
44) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Abhinandan Deora, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2005. Suppression of damping-off disease in host plants by the rhizoplane bacterium Lysabacter sp. strain SB-K88 is linked to plant colonization and antibiosis against soilborne Peronosporomycetes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 3786-3796. (USA)
45) Satoshi Tahara and Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2005. Secondary metabolites with diverse activities toward phytopathogenic zoospores of Aphanamyces cachliaides in host and nonhost plants. In: Discoveries in Agrochemicals, ACS Symposium Series 892, American Chemical Society, pp. 202-215. (USA)
46) Abhinandan Deora, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2005. Antagonistic rhizoplane bacteria induce diverse morphological alterations in Peronosporomycetes hyphae during in vitra interaction. European Journal of Plant Pathology 112: 311-322. (The Netherlands)
47) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2005. Bioactive secondary metabolites related to life-cycle development of oomycete phytopathogens. In: Studies in Natural Praducts Chemistry, Volume 32, Atta-ur-Rahman ed., Elsevier Science Publishers. pp. 1053-1122. (The Netherlands)
49) Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2005. Ecochemical interactions between plants and phytopathogenic Aphanamyces cachliaides zoospores. Journal of the Graduate School of Agriculture, Hakkaida University 71: 123-218. (Japan)
50) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Abu Sadeque Md. Selim. 2005. Current status and prospects for e-learning in the promotion of distance education in Bangladesh. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Educatian, 6 (4): Article, 11. (Turkey)
51) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Abu Sadeque Md. Selim and Md. Morshedur Rahman. 2005. Promotion of distance education through digital technology. Information Technology Journal, 4: 484-488. (Pakistan)
52) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Md. Morshedur Rahman and K. M. Rezanur Rahman. 2005. Some reflections on the quality and processes of Bangladesh Open University course materials development, Open Praxis, The Electronic Journal of the International Council of Distance Education (ICDE), ICDE Lilleakerveien 23, 0283 Oslo (www.icde.org).
53) Tomohiko Takayama, Yukiharu Fukushi, Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2004. Quantification of particle method for chemotactic bioassay using Peronosporomycete zoospores. ZeitschriJt Juer NaturJarschung 59c: 892-896. (Germany)
54) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Tomohiko Takayama and Satoshi Tahara, 2004. Bioassay methods to detect and identify allelochemicals in plants using zoospores of phytopathogens the Peronosporomycetes. In: Research Methads in Plant Sciences, Volume 2. Plant Protection, S. S. Narwal, R. Singh, R. K. Walia and V. P. Sharma eds., pp. 212-241, Scientific Publishers (India), Jodhpur. (India)
55) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Abhinandan Deora, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2004. Interactions between rhizoplane bacteria and a phytopathogenic Peronosporomycete Aphanamyces cachliaides in relation to the suppression of damping-off disease in sugar beet and spinach. IOBC/wprs Bulletin 27(8): 255-260. (France)
56) Henny Hoo, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2004. Requirement of relatively high threshold level of Mg2+ for cell growth of a rhizoplane bacterium Sphingamanas yanaikuyae EC-S001. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 5214-5221. (USA)
57) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2004. Interruption of the homing sequence of phytopathogenic Aphanamyces cachliaides zoospores by secondary metabolites from nonhost Amaranthus gangeticus. Journal aJ Pesticide Science 29: 6-14. (Japan)
58) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2003. Host-specific plant signal and G-protein activator, mastoparan, triggers differentiation of zoospores of the phytopathogenic oomycete Aphanamyces cachliaides. Plant and Sail 255: 131-142. (The Netherlands)
59) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2003. Host-specific plant signal and G-protein activator, mastoparan, triggers differentiation of zoospores of the phytopathogenic oomycete Aphanamyces cachliaides. In: Developments in Plants and Sail Sciences, Vol. 101, Roots: The Dynamic Interface between Plants and the Earth. Abe, J. Ed., pp. 131-142. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. (The Netherlands)
60) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito, Mitsuyoshi Sakasai and Satoshi Tahara, 2002. Zoosporicidal activity of polyflavonoid tannin identified in Lannea caramandelica stem bark against phytopathogenic oomycete Aphanamyces cachliaides. Journal aJ Agriculture and Faad Chemistry 50: 6697-6703. (USA)
61) Parvin Begum, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yuko Ogawa and Satoshi Tahara, 2002. Zoosporicidal activities of anacardic acids against Aphanamyces cachliaides. ZeitschriJt Juer NaturJarschung, 57c: 874-882. (Germany)
62) Takashi Shimai, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Yukiharu Fukushi, Yasuyuki Hashidoko, Ryozo Yokosawa and Satoshi Tahara, 2002. Nicotinamide and structurally related compounds show halting activity against zoospores of the phytopathogenic fungus Aphanamyces cachliaides. ZeitschriJt Juer NaturJarschung, 57c: 323-331. (Germany)
63) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2002. Microscopic studies on the attachment and differentiation of zoospores of the phytopathogenic fungus Aphanamyces cachliaides. Journal aJ General Plant Pathology 68: 111-117. (Japan)
64) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara, 2001. Morphological studies on zoospore of Aphanamyces cachliaides and changes during the interaction with host materials. Journal aJ General Plant Pathology 67: 255-261. (Japan)
66) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2001. Repellent activity of estrogenic compounds toward zoospores of the phytopathogenic fungus Aphanamyces cachliaides. ZeitschriJt Juer NaturJarschung 56c: 253-261. (Germany)
67) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Toshiaki Ito, Yasuyuki Hashidoko and Satoshi Tahara, 2001. Regulated aggregation of rhizoplane bacteria and phytopathogenic fungal zoospores on spinach seedlings. Praceedings, the 6th ISRR Sympasium, November 11-15, 2001, Nagoya, Japan. pp. 432-433. (Japan)
69) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Satoshi Tahara, 2002. Survey of pharmacologically active compounds in traditional medicinal plants regulating the behavior of zoospores of phytopathogenic fungus Aphanamyces cachliaides. Praceedings, Internatianal Sympasium an “Utilization of Natural Products in Developing Countries: Trends and Needs”, Mansingh, A., Young, R. E., Yee, T., Delgoda, R., Robinson, D. E., Morrison, E. and Lowe, H. eds., pp. 210-218. The University of West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, July 10-14, 2000. (Jamaica)
70) Habib Mohammad Naser, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Hasna Hena Begum and Md Idris. 1999. Effects of time and frequency of irrigation on yield of wheat. Thai Journal aJ Agricultural Science, 32: 205-209. (Thailand)
71) Md. Tofazzal Islam, R. K. Bhowmic, M. S. Ali and M. R, Islam. 1997. Effects of nitrogen on yield attributes of high yield variety aus rice. Journal aJ the Natianal Science Cauncil aJ Sri Lanka, 25: 113-119. (Sri Lanka)
72) M. A. H. Chowdhury and Md. Tofazzal Islam. 1996. Weeding and nitrogen application as a means for increasing yield and mineral content of wheat under rainfed condition. Thai Journal aJ Agricultural Science, 29: 183-189. (Thailand)
1) Md. Tofazzal Islam, A. K. M. Golam Sarwar, Hasna Hena Begum, Toshiaki Ito and Satoshi Tahara. 2009. Epidermal features of rice leaf epidermis of rice (Oryza sativa L.) cv. BR29. Bangladesh Journal of Plant Taxonomy, 16: 177-180. (Bangladesh)
2) Md. Shohidul Alam, Nur Mohammad Talukder, Md. Tofazzal Islam, Animesh Sarkar and M. M. Hossain. 2008. Phosphate solubilizing rhizoplane bacteria on growth and yield of transplant aman rice. Journal of Agroforestry and Environment 2 (1): 19-22. (Bangladesh).
3) Atiqur Rahman, Nur Mohammad Talukder and Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2006. Screening phosphate solubilizing bacteria from rhizoplane of tomato. Bangladesh Journal of Progressive Science and Technology, 4: 1-6. (Bangladesh)
4) Rubeca Fancy, A. Rahman, Md. Tofazzal Islam and M. Akhtar Hossain Chowdhury.
2006. Nutrient contents and their uptake by maize in acid soils as influenced by low levels of phosphorus. Journal of the Bangladesh Society for Agricultural Science and Technology 3: 69-72. (Bangladesh)
5) M. Abdul Hannan, M. Afzal Hossain, Md. Tofazzal Islam, E. Hossain Chowdhury. 2006.
Contraceptive effects of Abrus precatarius seed on female rats. Journal of Bangladesh Society of Agricultural Science and Technology 3(3D4): 185-188. (Bangladesh)
6) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2006. Library Services for Life-long Learning and Research in the
21st Century. In: Library in Education and Development (ISBN 984-8523-18-9), Mohammad Sadat Ali Ed., Natundhara Publishers, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 21-32. (Bangladesh)
7) Md. Tofazzal Islam and Abu Sadeque Md. Selim. 2006. Information and communication technologies for the promotion of open and distance learning in Bangladesh. Journal Agriculture and Rural Development 4: 35-42. (Bangladesh)
8) Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2006. Usage of Electronic Databases in Quality Education and Research. In: Library in Education and Development (ISBN 984-8523-18-9), Mohammad Sadat Ali Ed., Natundhara Publishers, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 33-36. (Bangladesh)
9) Hasna Hena Begum, Mitsuru Osaki and Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2005. Mechanisms of phosphorus nutrition in plants in tropical and sub-tropical soils – a review. Journal aJ Agriculture and Rural Development 3: 1-8 (Bangladesh)
10) M. Rafiqul Islam, T. K. Dey, Md. Tofazzal Islam, M. Saifulla and M. U. Ahmed, 2001. Diseases of potato from true potato seed. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research 26: 79-86. (Bangladesh)
11) M. R. Islam, T. K. Dey, Md. Tofazzal Islam, M. Saifullah and A. K. M. Khorsheduzzaman, 2000. Effect of different levels of soil moisture, soil amendment with sawdust and soil treatment with straw burning and chemicals on the incidence of damping- off disease of seedlings from true potato seed. Bangladesh Journal of Plant Pathology, 16: 57-59. (Bangladesh)
12) Md. Tofazzal Islam and H. H. Begum. 1999. Concentration of nutrients in wheat plants and grain quality as influenced by different phosphatic fertilizers. Bangladesh Journal of Agrilcultural Sciences, 26: 45-49. (Bangladesh)
13) Md. Tofazzal Islam, Md. Shahjahan Ali, Hasna Hena Begum and Md. Abul Khair Chowdhury. 1998. Effect of Different sources of phosphatic fertilizers on the nutrient uptake by wheat. Progressive Agriculture, 9: 285-288. (Bangladesh)
14) Md. Tofazzal Islam, M. S. Ali, H. H. Begum and A. K. Chowdhury. 1998. Influence of different sources of phosphatic fertilizers on yield and yield attributes of modern wheat. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 25: 203-208. (Bangladesh)
15) H. H. Begum, M. Idris, M. T. Islam and H. M. Naser. 1997. Influence of soil-moisture stress on yield and yield attributes of HYV boro rice. Progress. Agric. 8 (1D2): 231-234. (Bangladesh)
16) M. A. H. Chowdhury, A. K. Majumder and Md. Tofazzal Islam. 1995. Effect of different sources of sulphur on the yield and yield attributes of rice. Bangladesh Journal of Training and Development, 8: 65-68. (Bangladesh)
17) M. A. H. Chowdhury, Md. Tofazzal Islam and A. K. Majumder. 1994. Effect of different sources of sulphur on the nutrient uptake by rice. Bangladesh Journal of Training and Development, 7: 51-56. (Bangladesh)
18) M. M. Rahman, M. T. Islam and J. Abedin. 1993. Studies on yield and fruit characters of Mamardica diaica and M. cachinchinensis genotypes. BAU Res. Prag. 7: 123-128. (Bangladesh)
19) M. M. Rahman, M. T. Islam and M. Wazuddin. 1993. Studies on heterosis in bitter gourd, bottle gourd and ribbed gourd. BAU Res. Prag. 7: 129-135. (Bangladesh)
- Md. Tofazzal Islam, 2013. Peronosporomycetes Signaling and Interactions. Springer Publishers, The Netherlands, pp. 260 (approx.) (under process of preparation).
- Animesh Sarker and M. Tofazzal Islam (2012) Screening and Application of PSB for Rice Production in Acidic Soil. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co KG (ISBN-13:9783846599082). (Germany)
- Effectively Implementing Information Communication Technology in Higher Education in the Asia-Pacific Region. 2012. Co-editor. Nova Science Publishers. New York, USA
- Agricultural Science. A coursebook for HSC. 2012. Co-author. Bangladesh Open School, BOU. Bangladesh.
- Md. Tofazzal Islam. 2007. Information and Communication Technology in Education. Paragon Enterprises Ltd., Rupayan Center, Mohakhali, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh, ISBN 984-32-3872-9, 230pp. (in Bangla).
- Soil Science, Graduate, Co-author, December 1996, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 160 pp. (in Bangla).
- Forest Nursery, Graduate, Co-author, December 1998, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 100 pp. (in Bangla)
- Statistics, Graduate, Co-author, December 1998, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 312 pp. (in Bangla).
- Agricultural Science, Certificate, Co-author, December 1996, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh.
- Introductory Agriculture and Environment, Graduate, Editor, December 1996, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 173 pp. (in Bangla).
- Seed and Seed Technology, Graduate, Editor, December 1996, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 63 pp. (in Bangla).
- Plant Nutrition and Fertilizer Management, Graduate, Editor, December 1997, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur-1704, Bangladesh, 136 pp. (in Bangla).
I have research collaboration with some leading researchers in UK, USA, Germany, Korea, and China:
- Professor Michèle Clarke
Assistant Pro Vice Chancellor (International) Asia, Professor of Environmental Change, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK
- Dr. Helen West
Associate Professor in Environmental Biology, Faculty of Science
University of Nottingham, UK
- Dr. Richard Emes
Associate Professor and Reader in Bioinformatics
Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK
- Dr. Mahfuz Rahman
Assistant Professor & Director, Plant Diagnostic Center
West Virginia University, USA
- Professor Andreas von Tiedemann
Division of Plant Pathology and Crop Protection, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Göttingen, Germany
- Professor Hartmut Laatsch
Institute for Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry
University of Göttingen, Germany
- Dr. Hee Jae Shin
Marine Natural Products Chemistry Laboratory, Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology (KIOST), South Korea
- Professor Wang Yuanchao
Nanjing Agricultural University, China
- General Secretary (2011-2013) & Life Member, the Association of Humboldt Fellows in Bangladesh.
- General Secretary (2011-2013) & Life Member, The JSPS Alumni Association, Bangladesh.
- Member, Japanese University Alumni Association, Bangladesh.
- Member, American Psychopathological Society (APS), USA.
- General Secretary, Society of Agricultural Chemistry and Environment, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Member, Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology and Agrochemistry (JSBBA), Tokyo, Japan
- Member, International Allelopathy Society (IAS), India
- Member, International Organization for Biological and Integrated Control of Noxious Animals and Plants (IOBC), France
- Member, International Society for Development of Natural Products (ISDNP), Jamaica
- Member, Bangladesh Association for the Scientists and Scientific Professions (BASSP), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Member, Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Sciences (BAAS), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Member, Bangladesh Krishibid Institution, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Member, Asiatic Society Bangladesh
- Member, Board of Governors (BOG, highest authority of BOU), Bangladesh Open University (BOU), 1997-1998.
- Member, Academic Council, BOU.
- Dean (in charge), School of Agriculture and Rural Development, BOU.
- Vice-President (elected), Shaheed Nazmul Ahsan Hall Sangsad (1991-92), BAU.
- General Secretary, Executive Committee of Bangladesh Open University Teachers Association (BOUTA), 1995-1996.
- Member, Bangladesh Federation of University Teachers Association in 1995-1996.
- Member, Executive Committee of BOUTA in 1996-1997, 2002-2003, 2010-2011.
- Head (July 2010 to date), Department of Biotechnology, BSMRAU, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Member (July 2010 to date), Academic Council, BSMRAU, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Member (October 2010 to date), Executive Committee, School of Life Science, Shahjalal University of Science & Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Symposium Organizing Secretary, 4th International Symposium of BJSPSAA on “Global Climate Change – Impacts, Vulnerability, and Adaptation“, December 1, 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Symposium Organizing Secretary, Symposium of Association of Alexander von Humboldt Fellows Bangladesh on “Biotechnology and Food Security“, September 20, 2012, BSMRAU, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Convener, Publication and Publicity Committee, International Workshop on Nanotechnology, 21-23 September 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Chaired the first technical session of the TWAS-ROSEAP Symposium on Industrial Biotechnology, 26-30 August, 2011, Beijing, China
- Chaired a session in the Centennial Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society, USA held on July 26-30, 2008 Minneapolis, USA