Improving sustainability of strawberry production in Bangladesh through adopting low cost pest management methods and value-added products by small holder producers
- To find low cost pest management options for two major strawberry diseases using locally available raw materials along with improved cultural practices.
- To produce nursery stock in a safer environment and reduce the cost of planting stock and thereby expanding the profit of small holder producers.
- To train growers on post harvest cooling for marketing and preparation of value added products such as jam, jelly, preservers and strawberry yogurt.
- To enhance technical knowledge of growers and extension personnel to steady production and supply of strawberry for consumption of general public in Bangladesh
- To enhanced profit from the produces and empowered smallholder women as the future farming and value added producer community
- The project outcome will contribute to the sustainability of strawberry production and alleviate poverty and malnutrition in Bangladesh.
Funding Agency: USDA
- Dr. Md. Mahfuzur Rahman (WVU, USA)
- Prof. Dr. Md. Tofazzal Islam (BSMRAU)
- Dr. Md. Sayedur Rahman, Agriculture Officer, DAE, Gajipur
- Mr. Talib Basher Nayan, Executive Director, Unnayan Dhara
Total grant: $ 25, 177 (US)
Duration: 2 years
- Ms. Alia Akter, Baupara, Veembazar, Masterbari, Gazipur
- Ms. jasmeen Akter, Baupara, Veembazar, Masterbari, Gazipur
- Ms. Rumana Akter, R.P. Gate, Rajendrapur, Gazipur
- Ms. Kohinur Begum, Pubile Bus stand, Pubile, gazipur